Family Carers Ireland yesterday launched their 2017 pre-budget submission in the Board Room of Buswells Hotel, Molesworth Street, Dublin. The briefing was well attended by media representatives and members of the Oireachtas.
Family Carers Ireland Social Policy Manager Clare Duffy went through the five key points in the submission in detail.
Cork carer Mary McDonnell spoke about the care she has provided to her daughter Sinead for over 50 years, and highlighted the impact respite cuts have had on her situation.
The five key points in the 2017 submission are:
1. Publish Phase Two of the National Carers’ Strategy with ring-fenced funding for its implementation
2. Ensure family carers are not financially burdened as a result of their caring role
3. Create a more ‘carer-friendly’ health service
4. Recognise the home as a centre of care
5. Invest in the futures of young carers