Family Carers Ireland are delighted that since August 1st 2018, carers in receipt of Carer’s Allowance and living with the cared for person are eligible for the Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme.
The scheme offers free energy efficiency upgrades to homeowners helping make your home warmer, healthier, and cheaper to run – that is 100% of the costs covered. Upgrades include cavity wall insulation; attic insulation; external wall insulation; internal wall insulation; replacement windows; heating upgrade; heating controls; ventilation; draught proofing; lagging jackets; CFLs and remedial works.
There are certain requirements that you must meet in applying for the Warmer Homes Scheme. If you can answer YES to the four questions below, you are probably eligible:
- Do you own and live in your own home? This must be your main residence, where you live most days of the week.
- Was it built and occupied before 2006? This means the ESB meter was connected and property lived in prior to 2006.
- Do you receive one of the following welfare payments?
- Fuel Allowance as part of the National Fuel Scheme. Check if you’re entitled to the fuel allowance here
- Jobseeker’s Allowance for over six months and have a child under seven years of age
- Working Family Payment
- One-Parent Family Payment
- Domiciliary Care Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance and live with the person you are caring for (effective from 1st August 2018)
- You have not previously received works under the Warmer Homes Scheme? Due to high demand, the scheme is not available to homes that have already received an upgrade under the Scheme.
Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme
Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland
PO BOX 119