Family Carers Ireland believes that improving family carers lives must be firmly on the agenda in the local and European elections on May 24th. We are contacting candidates to make them aware of our manifestos and we encourage everyone to engage in the elections on the issue of carers’ rights.
Our local election manifesto Building Caring Communities calls on candidates to pledge their commitment to building more caring communities by prioritising six areas for action in their local authority:
- Recognise the home as a centre of care and extend Local Property Tax exemptions to include ‘unadapted’ households where fulltime care is provided (reliefs/exemptions exist for adapted households).
- Increase funding for the Housing Adaptation Grant Scheme and extend eligibility criteria.
- Ensure tenants living in local authority properties can access housing adaptations.
- Establish evidence-based targets for the provision of accessible social housing for people with a disability.
- Work to abolish the postcode lottery in carer supports.
- Ensure the participation of carers on local decision-making structures.
Our European election manifesto Building a Caring Europe seeks a commitment from candidates to build a more caring Europe that values, respects and supports carers and promotes the rights and values enshrined in Article 2 of the EU Treaty – respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality and the wellbeing of its people.
Family Carers Ireland calls on candidates to pledge that if elected to the European Parliament, they will act as a champion for carers by:
- Raising awareness of family carers and support the publication of an EU-level Carers Strategy.
- Promoting work-life balance initiatives for working carers including Carer’s Leave and flexible working.
- Working to minimise the impact of Brexit on carers and promote the positive opportunities it presents.
- Recognising young carers and support their inclusion in the EU Youth Strategy 2019-2027.
- Providing a voice for carers in Europe by joining the European Parliament Interest Group on Carers.
Make carers count in the upcoming elections by downloading a copy of our election manifestos and making sure the candidates you meet are aware of our priorities and pledge to better recognise and support carers.